CLIL IN ACTION
CLIL IN ACTION – innovative teaching of language and content
Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL), a method of learning a subject through a foreign language, has been gaining popularity in schools around the world. The main advantage of the approach is teaching the content and language at the same time, thus making learning more meaningful.
However, introducing CLIL into teaching might pose some challenges. Subject teachers, as well as their students, are sometimes unsure of their language skills. Parents often wonder if teaching in a foreign language will not result in poorer understanding of the subject matter and worse exam results in the native tongue. Resources for CLIL lessons are not always available and assessment must be a delicate balance between checking the subject knowledge and language skills.
This course aims to address all these issues to better prepare teachers to introduce CLIL to their classrooms or to improve their practice. Newly qualified and experienced teachers are equally welcome; we cover the basic theory of the method as well as offer practical advice on how to deal with the problems you might have encountered in your work using CLIL. The course will also suggest how to make your CLIL lessons more engaging using games and communications technology. We prefer a practical approach, so you will be sharing your views and experience with the other participants, preparing together lesson plans, materials and assessment for your students.
You can put these skills to immediate use, as we offer an opportunity to co-teach short lessons at a bilingual primary school – or you can opt to just observe experienced teachers in action.
- Plan a bilingual lesson
- Use different teaching methods and techniques
- Select appropriate teaching materials
- Create assessment tools for a bilingual classroom
- Identify appropriate educational apps and websites for teaching ICT to primary school students
- Implement online learning platforms and interactive websites in the classroom
- Integrate educational apps into lessons that align with the curriculum
- Create engaging and interactive activities that incorporate technology into the curriculum
- Evaluate the effectiveness of ICT tools in teaching ICT to primary school students
- Learn what coaching is and how it is used in education
- Learn and test specific coaching tools, thanks to which you will strengthen the potential of your pupils
Awaken creativity and get to know yourself better!
Day 1 – Welcome to the TC
- Getting to know each other, ice breaking games, group building activities;
- Presentation of the course, timetable and place;
- Presentations of the participants’ schools;
- Setting out of the participants’ needs and objectives;
- Introducing self reflection time;
- Welcome dinner
Day 2 – Bilingual teaching
- City game – getting to know Warsaw;
- Introduction to bilingual lessons
Day 3 – How to incorporate IT into bilingual teaching
- IT in a classroom: presentation of useful ICT tools and techniques
- Introduction to the importance of ICT in primary school education.
- Overview of educational apps and websites for the classroom.
- Identifying appropriate apps and websites for teaching ICT to primary school students
- Assessment for learning in a bilingual class (ocenianie kształtujące, ocena języka, ocenianie bieżące, sposoby oceniania) – formative assessment
Day 4 – Job shadowing at DSP 1
- Visit at the school – getting to know how bilingual teaching works in practice;
- ICT lesson in practice: How to teach programming in a friendly way
- Implementation of online learning platforms and interactive websites in the classroom.
- Creating engaging and interactive activities that incorporate technology into the curriculum.
- Integrating educational apps into lessons that align with the curriculum.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of ICT tools in teaching ICT to primary school students.
- Discussion on best practices for implementation of technology in the classroom
Day 5 – What’s next?
- What kind of a teacher do I want to be? – coaching, self development methods for teachers;
- Final Evaluation of the course;
- Certificates ceremony;
- Field Trip to Centrum Nauki Kopernik as an opportunity to explore innovative and effective ways of teaching Science/STEAM subjects through field trips. Participants will have the chance to engage in interactive exhibits and hands-on activities that are designed to enhance student engagement and learning in Science/STEAM.